Bunheads by Sophie Flack

Bunheads by Sophie Flack
Release date:
October, 2011
Pages: 294
Source: Bought
Part of: Personal challenge 2013

My Feelings:




Description:
As a dancer with the ultra-prestigious Manhattan Ballet Company, nineteen-year-old Hannah Ward juggles intense rehearsals, dazzling performances and complicated backstage relationships. Up until now, Hannah has happily devoted her entire life to ballet.

But when she meets a handsome musician named Jacob, Hannah's universe begins to change, and she must decide if she wants to compete against the other "bunheads" in the company for a star soloist spot or strike out on her own in the real world. Does she dare give up the gilded confines of the ballet for the freedoms of everyday life?

My Review:
Bunheads has been on my to be read list for a while now, so I finally decided it was time to get it.

Hannah, the main character, is determined, very hard to herself and indecisive. I liked Hannah, but I liked her friend Bea more. She knew what she wanted and felt more mature. The friendship Hannah has with the ballet dancers sounds very realistic. Very backstabbing, false and competitive. Jacob, the boyfriend, I didn’t care for. Yes, he was cute and all, but there wasn’t a lot of depth to his character. I seriously thought I was missing some chapters. The chapters where Hannah and Jacob got to know each other better and fell in love. They met in the beginning of the book, then they went out in the middle and from there on they were supposedly in love. After one date?  A bit too fast and seriously why would you even consider giving up years of training for that?

The story was interesting and well-paced. I loved the descriptions on stage and off. You learn a lot about being in a ballet company and how competitive and hard the ballet world is. You really need to be dedicated, determined, strong and have a real passion for it to succeed.

After reading Bunheads I want to read more Young Adult books about dancing or ballet. Do you have any recommendations?

Emma - Boekenzee  – (17 maart 2013 om 04:57)  

Sorry! I have no recs, but I love reading about dancing as well so I hope other people know some great books for me too!

Nina  – (17 maart 2013 om 08:48)  

@Emma:
No problem! I will let you know if there are any YA recommendations. :)

Marce  – (17 maart 2013 om 09:23)  

This was one of the most realistic dance books I have read. She didn't give up the dance career for him, she was ready to experience the world.

I also reviewed this one.

I think I have read another, need to look at my 'files'.

Christianna Marks  – (17 maart 2013 om 09:38)  

I love dance movies so I wonder if I would like book about dancing just as much? This one sounds like a lot of fun! I think I'll give it a go! Thanks for the great review!

Joanna  – (17 maart 2013 om 11:03)  

I love ballet stories! I recently read A Company of Swans by Eva Ibbotson and it was. Ice because it also had a adventure side to it, not just ballet. I love dance movies too, have you seen Centerstage?

Sam  – (17 maart 2013 om 15:49)  

It's a shame that the romance was poorly paced. I find it near impossible to enjoy romances that develop too rapidly. The rest sounds pretty good though. I haven't heard much about this book, but you have me curious. Great review! :)

Bookworm1858  – (17 maart 2013 om 18:55)  

I recommend Dancing in the Dark by Robyn Bavati for another dancing book-this one is more intense as it follows a young girl pursuing dance in the face of her religiously observant family.

I liked reading Bunheads but was super disappointed in the romance.

Blodeuedd  – (17 maart 2013 om 21:44)  

Insta love does not work for me like that :/

Lola Reading  – (17 maart 2013 om 22:41)  

I've been curious about this one! Thanks for your honest review!

Cindy  – (17 maart 2013 om 22:49)  

There are a few books on ballet dancers out there right now, but I can only think of The Selection. Glad you liked this one, I might check it out, but who knows. Great review :)

Nina  – (18 maart 2013 om 04:21)  

@Marce:
True, she was ready. But, the whole time she couldn't choose between the boy or her carreer. That, was annoying! :( Yes, please look & give me some recommendations.

@Christianna Marks:
You're welcome. I love dance movies as well, except for Flashdance..I watched that a few weeks ago and I kind of hated it. Lol.

@Joanna:
Is that a YA book? I'm going to look it up! Thanx! I haven't watched Centerstage. Is it good? :)

@Sam:
Yeah, the romance was not the best!

Nina  – (18 maart 2013 om 04:28)  

@Bookworm1858:
Thank you! I'm def. going to check Dancing in the Dark by Robyn Bavati out. It sounds super interesting. Yeah, the romance was not that good in the book.

@Blodeuedd:
Same here!

@Lola Reading:
You're welcome.

@Cindy:
I've read a book called the Selection, but that one is not about dancers. Mmmm..wondering which one you mean. :)

Brandi Kosiner  – (18 maart 2013 om 06:49)  

Dance of Shadows is about dance but I haven't read it. I enjoyed Dancing in the Dark but it has a religious theme. Panic by Draper also features dancers but the main plot is about kidnapping.

Have you seen the tv show? How does it compare?

Brandi @ Blkosiner’s Book Blog

....Petty Witter  – (18 maart 2013 om 09:37)  

Kind of reminds me of the film The Black Swan. Glad you enjoyed this, sorry that I don't have any recommendations for you.

Nina  – (18 maart 2013 om 10:13)  

@Brandi:
I looked the book up & I just read some bad reviews about it. I do think it sounds very interesting. I mean, ballet and demons? Awesome!
Which TV show? :)

@Petty Witter:
Yes, they are both about ballet. :)
No worries!

Melissa (Books and Things)  – (18 maart 2013 om 12:13)  

I enjoyed this one, but like you wasn't blown away by the main story. It seems that the world was what was so interesting. Plus, knowing that the author was a bunhead makes it more interesting. You know there was a lot of accuracy there. :)

A Canadian Girl  – (18 maart 2013 om 18:08)  

Oh, I hate insta-love, and with this type of situation - deciding whether to give up ballet after years of training - it would just piss me off even more. Thanks for the review, Nina!

justcaffeinated  – (19 maart 2013 om 11:36)  

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this book! I've been curious to check it out, the premise sounded interesting :)

- Lianne @ caffeinatedlife.net

Nina  – (20 maart 2013 om 02:59)  

@Melissa:
Yeah, totally! She knows everything there is to know in the ballet world!

@A Canadian Girl:
I hate it at times. Somethimes I just don't feel the connection. :)

@justcaffeinated:
You're welcome.

The Readdicts  – (23 maart 2013 om 22:54)  

For a guy named Jacob, this guy seems rather okay. I like insta-love at times, but yeah, love after one date is too much for me too. I'm glad you liked the girls, Hannah and Bea. Awesome review!

Sarika @ The Readdicts

Een reactie posten

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP